Monday, February 9, 2009

Time for a change

When something isn't working, you change it. Modify it until it does work. Out with the old, in with the fresh. Spray a little Febreze. All that good stuff.

So. This isn't working. I missed class Friday for a gymnastics show, which was pretty cool, but not nearly as cool as understanding parametrized curves would be. And I do not understand. I have read the book twice, and yet, I am still wandering lost somewhere between P0 and P1. I cannot tell you what they traverse, in which direction they traverse it, or whether they stop at some point and have hot, steamy carnal relations, producing little P3 in the blink of an I = f(J) that is the gestational period of a P. But I digress.

The point is that my current method of studying is not working. This is that method: 1) sit in front of the computer. 2) Initiate willpower. 3) Begin surfing blogs and facebook and guild forums and anything else that will delay the inevitable onset of homework for a few minutes. 4) Realize that I have to do something else or that the day is over and I am out of time.

This method used to work. Back when I was 16 and in the throes of degree no. 1, this worked. But, back then, I had way more time and way fewer distractions. The internet had not yet become the powerhouse of diversion that it is now and my access to it was a lot less constant and uninterrupted. I didn't carry a powerful portable computer everywhere with me. (My backpack was still the size of a small child though. Go figure.)

Anyway, here's the solution:

1) No more missing classes. I will have to cut back on gymnastics activities for this semester, because otherwise I am going to painfully and miserably fail my classes. I don't need that kind of pain and misery.

2) A system of rewards. A system of cheap, immediate rewards. I study for two hours, then I go to the co-op at school and buy a microbrewed ginger ale/cream soda/ginger beer/cherry soda/root beer. I like these and I can put a $1.30 soda in the budget 5 days a week. (The budget is tight atm in order to make it so I can afford to go to Chicago this summer.)

3) Set study periods no longer than 2 hours. I don't have the attention span to sit for 7 hours. Yes, I used to. Now is not then. Get over it, I should, mmmm.

4) I have to stop planning to travel on the weekends. I have to work at work too much during the week for the weekends to be available for going home. The folks will just have to wait til Spring break to see me.

And done for now, because I'm starting to be sleepy. Sleepy is a very good way to feel for someone who doesn't sleep but has to work/study on a normal schedule. Normally, sleepy eludes me pretty effectively.

No comments: